Thursday, November 18, 2010

He Closed his Eyes

Edouard Tezac, Julia's father in law was alive during the Vel d'hv round up, and the way he describes the people of Paris is something that I found interesting. He says
           "He had closed his eyes, like so many other Parisians, during that terrible year of 1942. He had closed his eyes the day of the roundup, when he had seen all those people being driven away, packed in the buses, taken God knows where. He hadn't even asked why the apartment was empty, what had happened to the family's belongings. He had acted like any other Parisian family, eager to move into a bigger, better place. He had closed his eyes". (pg. 163)
 He closed is eyes. I find this a great way to explain how the people must have felt at the time. Ignoring all the people in pain and what was going on around them, so just closing their eyes. I find this quote symbolizes something, but i'm not 100 % sure yet. So I'll keep looking into this and thinking of more meaning for this, I'll just keep on reading.

This is one of my favourite quotes so far!

1 comment:

  1. Think about "King Lear" and all the eye imagery - are they similar?

    ReplyDelete