Friday, October 15, 2010

Two Sides to Every Story

   As I keep reading the book it gets more interesting and hard to put down. I want to know what happens next to this girl and her family, and I want to start seeing connections between the two stories. Having the two different story lines I thought would be more difficult but truly it makes the book keep moving. There is constantly a development in either story and having the chapters for each being short keeps my mind always entertained. I think that she choose to have the two story lines because it gives a new perspective for readers. Having different views of an historical event is something that is very interesting to me. We get the view as it is actually happening and then the view of now, and how people remember this event; both of which are completely different. The two different stories also mean more connections too characters and this is what makes me want to keep reading. So far they have just started to come together; Julie the journalist is writing about the Vel D'Hiv which "the girl" is currently living through. Julie has also just come in touch during present day with another women who saw the round up happen, so she is learning more about this historic event and becoming closer the "the girl's" story. I feel that Julie will find more personal connections that connect her to "the girl", possibly something to do with the grandmother’s house. "The girl's" story when I read it, I feel that if it was written differently it would be hard to read because it is very emotional and deals with a difficult subject. But I find the way Tatiana De Rosnay writes it, it makes it easier to read about. It is still very emotional but she writes about it in a very respectful way. I find this book so far very well written especially since it is about a very strong and emotional subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment